The new Age of Flashpoint Testing Product
MINIFLASH is a unique series of flash point testers for the automatic determination of the flash point of liquids and solid samples according to ASTM D6450 and the advanced ASTM D7094 standard. This procedure describes the “Standard Test Method for Flash Point by Modified Continuously Closed Cup (MCCCFP)”, which offers the highest repeatability and reproducibility and an excellent correlation to the D93 Pensky-Martens method: “There is no statistically significant bias observed between ASTM D7094 and ASTM D93 Procedure A” as concluded during the last Round Robin. ASTM D7094 has been approved by the ASTM committee for the Diesel Fuel and Kerosene specifications ASTM D975, D396, D2880 and D3699.
Furthermore, test results are equivalent to other well known standards such as Abel and TAG, and thanks to its unique design MINIFLASH can be used for more difficult applications such as flash-point testing of contaminated samples like diesel fuel in lube oil or gasoline in diesel fuel and for biodiesel testing.
Its continuously closed cup design and small sample volume of only 1-2 mL offers maximum safety, avoids offensive fumes in the testing area and reduces sample waste. The fast thermoelectric cooling by Peltier Protection Technology™ at the end of a test and the fast and easy handling of the instrument, save expensive labor time.
Due to the true portability and rugged housing, the MINIFLASH is also the perfect solution for mobile labs and military applications.
The New Technology
The MINIFLASH series of instruments is using the Grabner flash detection method of measuring the instantaneous pressure increase inside the continuously closed chamber due to a high energy electric arc. The fast thermoelectric cooling after each test prepares the instrument for the next test in a very short time. Heating the test chamber from the top avoids condensation of high volatile compounds, significantly improving the test results.
Peltier Protection Technology™
For a quick sample turnaround and extended instrument life time Grabner Instruments developed fast thermoelectric regulation of heating and cooling. This technology permits to extend the measuring temperature to well above 400°C and optimizes Peltier performance and life time.
Ignition Protection Technology™
Ignition Protection Technology™ is intrinsic to the MINIFLASH design. Only 1-2 mL of sample are required for testing the flash point – without an open flame! The continuously closed cup design, automatic explosion probing and a controlled air feed protect against fire and offensive fumes – for unmatched safety in flashpoint testing!
Wide Range of Applications
The flashpoint is determined over a wide temperature range, simulating all standard closed cup methods as well as GO/NOGO tests. Over the last years, the outstanding performance of MINIFLASH has proven effective for transport regulations/classifications, product specifications and used oil analysis (programmable fuel dilution curve to prevent costly engine troubles) in laboratories all over the world.
Flash Point of FAME (Biodiesel) and ASTM method D6751-03
Blending of Biodiesel (B100) with Diesel Fuels has become increasingly important in order to reduce the amount of carbondioxide emission in the atmosphere. In the chemical reaction process to produce biodiesel, a short chain alcohol is used to dissolve the catalyst and to assist in the conversion of oil or fat into a fatty acid methyl ester (biodiesel). The excess alcohol is afterwards removed and measuring the flash point of each phase, with the MINIFLASH fully automatic flash point tester, provides a fast indication of the presence of any remaining flammable alcohol.
Other Applications for MINIFLASH include
- Flash point testing of Residuals, Sludge, Bitumen, Tar, Asphalt…
- Fast screening of Jet Fuel, Diesel Fuel to check for eventual presence of low flash contaminants.
- Advantage: high temperature range and very safe operating procedure
- Flash point testing of products containing solvents like ethanol, IPA, glycerol…
- Advantage: small sample volume
- Flash point testing of flammable goods to check for compliance with transport safety regulations.
- Advantage: easy handling
Flavours and Fragrances
Flash point testing of aroma products containing alcohol based solvents.
Advantage: small sample volume reduces testing costs significantly in case of expensive base products
Paints and Varnishes
Flash point testing of solvent based paints, varnishes and enamels to determine the safest way of storage.
Advantage: small sample volume and easy to clean
Testing of industrial waste like solids (filter slurry…) and unknown mixtures of liquid hydrocarbons.
Advantage: small sample volume, fast thermoelectric cooling in case of samples having a flash point well below ambient temperature.
Fuel Protection for Ships, Railway and Heavy Duty Machinery (Mining, Construction), …
Fuel dilution in lube oils changes its viscosity and hence the lubricating properties of the oil, resulting in increased wear of mechanical parts due to higher friction which can eventually lead to serious damage and engine drop-out. Fuel dilution decreases the flash point.
Approved by NAVY, NATO, etc.
- Fully Automatic 8 Position Sampler
- 4 minutes Manipulation Time for 8 Samples
- Continuous Operation – up to 80 Samples per Day!
- Complies with the latest flashpoint standard ASTM D 7094 – MCCCFP (Flash-Point by Modified Continuously Closed Cup) and ASTM D6450 – CCCFP (Flash-Point by Continuously Closed Cup)
- Excellent Correlation to ASTM D93, D56, ISO2719 (EN/DIN 22719), ISO13736, IP170
- Maximum Safety through Ignition Protection Technology™: only 1-2 ml sample, no open flame, continuously closed cup, no offensive vapours in the lab
- Approved by: US D.O.T. and RCRA
- Approved by: NATO; 6630-25-145-3256, 6630-25-146-0895, 6630-01-534-1774 and the US NAVY – NSN: 6625-01-472-6783
- Approved for Diesel Fuel and Kerosene specifications ASTM D975, D396, D2880, D3699
- Approved for the ASTM specifications of recycled fuel and biodiesel
- The world wide standard in the flavours and fragrances industry
- The highest precision: details see below details (Precision data)
- Short measuring time (depends on sample type) due to small sample volume of 1-2 ml
- Fast thermoelectric temperature regulation by Peltier Protection Technology™
- Easiest handling (instrument-user dialogue) and fast cleaning of the sample cup
- Wide Measuring Range: 0 to 400°C (32 to 750°F)
- Compact & portable for field use (car battery connector)
- RS232 interface and MINIWIN software (for PC)
Printer, PC and MINIWIN recommended
Recommended Temperature Range
MINIFLASH ASTM D6450 1.9°C (3.4°F)
MINIFLASH ASTM D7094 3.8°C (6.8°F)
Pensky-Martens ASTM D93A 4.1°C (7.4°F)
MINIFLASH ASTM D6450 3.1°C (5.6°F)
MINIFLASH ASTM D7094 5.4°C (9.7°F)
Pensky-Martens ASTM D93A 6.9°C (12.4°F)
An aluminium cup (1) with a capacity of 7 ml and containing 2 mL of sample is resting in the sample cup holder. For the test, the sample cup is lifted to the temperature controlled oven (2), forming the test-chamber with a metal to metal seal. A thermocouple (3) is immersed into the sample to measure the temperature. The temperature of the oven is controlled by Peltier elements (4) and an air cooled heat sink (5). The vapor is ignited by a high voltage arc (6) inside the test-chamber. At the flash point, the pressure inside the sealed measuring chamber is increased significantly, which is detected by a built-in pressure transducer (7). A rotating magnet and a small magnet (8) inside the the sample cup provides stirring.
Continuous product development may make it necessary to change product specifications without notice.